Saturday, July 7, 2012

Book review: "Overdressed:The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion"


Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap FashionOverdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion by Elizabeth L. Cline
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Elizabeth Cline takes us along as she begins to evolve from a mindless shopper of shoddy goods to a more thoughtful consumer and sometimes DIY'er. If that was the extent of "Overdressed:The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion", I would have rated it 3 stars. But Ms. Cline enumerates the cost of cheap, overseas manufacture of fast fashion in a way that engaged me, made me think about effects far beyond the US manufacturing sector, and finally, gave me some small measure of hope for our economy. Small measure...I was left with some realizations of the enormity of the consumerism in the west, and its creep across to emerging powers.

Highly recommended for a fresh look at the social and economic effects of overseas labor.

View all my reviews

11 comments:

  1. I'm "on the list" at the library to read this book. At the moment I'm making my way through "Deluxe: how luxury lost its luster". All rather depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, I am going over to Goodreads to add that title also. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. This looks very interesting - perhaps I could suggest it for my book group. This is one of the reasons I love sewing but then the fabric is probably made in China too - Australian made clothing is uncommon now and Australian made fabric is extremely rare. We don`t have the same shops as you but have the equivalent shops that sell pooly made , current fashion not meant to last .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine, Hi! Yes, I have had the same thoughts about fabric. I have made some changes in my fabric buying and am trying to locate quality fabrics through thrift store shopping or estate sales. I have not had much luck!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this, it really sounds interesting. I'm going to check to see if my library has it. I love hearing about books from other sewists, I've found some very good ones recently. One of my recent favourites is "The Thoughtful Dresser" by Linda Grant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, I have read that also. Great book about fashion. Did you know Linda Grant has written fiction?

      Delete
  4. Pinning all these titles to my book list. Thanks ladies for such thoughtful recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the book recommendation. I could use a mix in my reading. Currently reading Widow's Row by Lala Corriere... so far interesting enough to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, I added it to my Goodreads "To Read" list...I am up to 58 books waiting their turn!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad to read your take on this! I've been meaning to post about it, but haven't read it yet so can't offer a review. I need to check my library - so I don't blindly consume, of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a great book Mary Kind of like fast food nation for shoppers.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.