Thursday, June 7, 2012

oh, Marcy!

I love your work.

Marcy Tilton's new jacket design is V8795.  Look at the mix of tough girl and soft fabric, of simple shapes and cascading drape.

It's a short, unlined jacket with a soft collar and asymmetry on the left side.  The drape extends up the collar, giving the jacket even more "attitude".    The pattern itself is a very quick sew, and the time required to complete the jacket is mostly taken up in attaching the closures.  The pattern calls for either hook and eye tape or a zipper.  It's essential to choose an eye catching closure as this is the focus of the design.

My version was finished last week and I am so happy with it.  I plan to pair it with casual tops and capris, or dresses.  I did wear it with slacks today but the effect was somewhat muted with slacks and loafers.



I absolutely love the hook and eye tape, even though I struggled to sew it on.
Look at this:

Full pattern review can be found here: V8795 review

My new favorite piece of clothing.  Thanks Marcy!

18 comments:

  1. Where did you find that fantastic hook and eye tape??? Great job on the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hook and eye tape is a really interesting feature! Great jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great look on you - LOVE the trim you chose!

    If I didn't already have too many jackets & unsewn patterns, I'd be rushing out to get this one, based on your version. I'm controlling myself.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the hook and eye tape at Fabric of Vision in Ashland, OR. It is NOT easy to apply. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I love this jacket and especially the hook and eye tape too - what was the problem with sewing it on? Was it not being able to get the machine foot in the right place??

    Great jacket

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I bet that would make a super riding jacket too done in a sturdy slobber proof fabric of course. ;)
    I'm getting ready to tackle Marcy's new dress pattern, done as a tunic of course....hope I have as good luck as you did with that jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your new look blog and your new jacket - I'd say almost biker styling. As intesting open as closed. Nice look for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smell that? Its the acrid smell of covetousness! Gracious! Its coming from me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That jacket is fantastic Mary! I really love the hook and eye closures on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is very cool. Love your use of the hooks and eyes and the shape and length are really flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely jacket, you may be interested to see Sew-4-Fun version
    http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.co.nz/2012/06/marcy-tilton-jacket.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking jacket! The asymmetry is very appealing and the hook and eye tape (contrary to any previous expectations I may have had about hook and eye tape) looks very sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like Marcy's designs too! You did such a fantastic job on this. Such a versatile, yet distinguished jacket. I bought some hook and eye tape very similar to what you used when I was in Oregon two years ago. I have yet to use it, but I think I will follow your lead and perhaps use it for this pattern as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful, wonderful jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so right the hook and eye tape makes this jacket sing! It is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. how did I miss this pattern????? I love it, I love it! and it looks SO good on you...Love your details, Mary.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.