Thursday, June 14, 2012

Design Outside the Lines Part Two

note: This is Part Two of Design Outside the Lines blog post.  Please read Part One here .  thanks!


The Pinterest board was a valuable exercise in determining what I like, what I respond to viscerally, and what commonalities I might find in a collection of images.   Here is the board again.


and here is my unedited response to the images:

taupe, browns, blues, greens, grays
matte
loose and flowing, layers on top
drape as sophisticated touch
unfitted, but feminine and sensual
bling via small amount of metal or beading
vertical elements reminiscent of aspen groves, pilings near pier, branches in the mist, fences along open
   ground, bridge spans in the distance
space around the vertical elements is sky, or ground, or weather, or mist
landscapes, skyscapes, oceanscapes (and later I wrote earth, water, sky)
big views and open and expansive.  I want my body to be able to move in my clothing. 


As I prepare to pack for the workshop, I keep the list above in my mind, and the following goals:

1.  I will look for new combinations of shapes in Parisian fashion, Japanese patterns, and in daily examples.
2.  Use TNT tee patterns and/or RTW tees to invent a new tee shape/pattern for myself and if time, a cardigan.  I want the tee/cardi to float.
3.  Work with two pieces already sewn, or patterns used, to meld a cohesive look.  Use insetting and surface design techniques to give a playful or whimsical touch to a basic piece.  Explore piecing different fabrics together.
4.  Explore stamping, texture plates, and silk screening as ways to illustrate some of the aspects in my responses above.   Make a sample book of techniques, and journal thoughts on this.

In summary, the process I followed was:
 a)gather images which spoke to me,  b)sort the images with emphasis only on like/don't like,   c)study the images and respond without editing, and finally but most difficult  d) translate your responses into details on a garment, or shapes of an outfit or techniques to illustrate some aspect which inspires you.

I will share some of my work from the workshop and hope that I come home on fire with ideas.


16 comments:

  1. I'm ridiculously excited to see what you bring back for ideas and terribly jealous I can't go too!
    Have a grand time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting exercise. For me, the supremely difficult step is the last step (step d). I look forward to hearing more about your process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what you come up with. This retreat is on my 'sewing wish list'. :) I'm very envious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A creatively organized approach. I aspire to this. I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great exercise. I hope to try this too. Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wistful envious happiness for you as you get ready for your class. Good on you, I know you made this happen! BTW I could just park myself on you Pinterest board, nice. Hope workshop is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour in due course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is almost as exciting as going to the workshop myself. Just watching your ideas take shape is A great insight into this process. Thanks! Hope it's a terrific experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really looking forward to following your creative journey. Your Pinterest board is simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you decided which TNT patterns you are going to use? I've been reading through your prior pattern reviews and I would like to see you remake Vogue 1261 for this exercise, I think it's very flattering on you. (I know you weren't asking for an opinion, sorry to be a buttinski:) Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just know that we are going to enjoy this as much as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so wonderful to share your experience vicariously. I know you will come home on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting process--thank you for sharing! I've never really thought systematically about what draws me other than my two word summary "retro fantasy."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Since I'm not home my email would come from some other source that may look like spam so I'm answering here. My card read Neat Ideas. It was great to meet you as well. I'll enjoy watching your process.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nancy WilliamsonJuly 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM

    Thanks for sharing your "Design Outside the Lines" experience. I'm following you on Pintrest and really enjoy your selections.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.