Thursday, June 14, 2012

Design Outside the Lines Part One

Yes, it is true...I am going to Sisters, OR this Sunday to attend a Design Outside the Lines workshop.  The theme this year is Dressing from the Inside Out.  Marcy's teaching will focus on these 5 elements-Paris influences, inventive T-shirts (conquering tricky knits), pairing pattern and fabric, making and wearing a dress, and handbags.  Diane is focusing on printing your own yardage, insetting (a core technique in her own work), and polishing your look- new combinations and accessories.  Like all great teachers, both Marcy and Diane have made it very clear that these topics are starting points for students and that we are free to go in a variety of directions.  I am so enthused about this chance to explore my own craft, style and creativity.  I'd like to share my preparation with you and some general comments about creativity, learning and development of our personal art/craft.

The past year found me somewhat flat in my sewing.  After soul searching, I realized that I had little interest in new techniques, or increasing familiarity with new fabrics, or trying new pattern lines if that study and work was going to result in clothing not suited for me.  For example, a Chanel type jacket would give me loads of opportunity to learn, study and apply new ideas...but while beautiful, I really don't wear this type of jacket in my daily wardrobe.  I am not a traditionalist, but I am also not able to carry art-to-wear garments with any panache.

My focus for many months has been on crystallizing what I do like to wear, and what is flattering to me. 


not this                                                                                                                        
                                                                      or this






Thus began my search.  Silhouette?  Colors?  Textures?  Fabric choices?  Ease?

A giant question was: If I like it, is it wearable?  Do I need to get other opinions?  Is my taste suspect?  Do comments on PR, Me-Made-May and on blogs constitute honest feedback?  Yes, it is true...I was definitely in crisis.  Happily, I resolved some of this angst and the rest is melting away.

While in this messy emotional place, I signed up on the waiting list for Sisters DOL and thought no more about it.  I continued to fine tune my fashion interests, and spent some time each week sorting pictures on Pinterest.  I didn't analyze; I just collected what appealed to me, and then removed ones which didn't after a time.  Simple-like vs don't like

Here is that board as of today: assembling the elements


12 comments:

  1. Oh, have fun at your workshop. I am sure it will provide inspiration for your sewing.

    I think you are right...it is important to like wearing what we sew. I'm off to look at your pinterest board now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear about your experiences at DOL! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your Pinterest board, Mary...I can't wait to see how to translate it to clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible opportunity you have in going to Sisters for the DOL event! I enjoyed viewing your Pinterest inspiration board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the Pinterest board too - there is a definite pervading style there, I'd say elegant/arty. Great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you lucky lady! I SO look forward to hearing about your DOTL experience!

    Love the look of your Pinterest board too - I've been neglecting mine, but you've re-inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would so love to do that. You'll surely come away with a store of inspiration and enthusiasm, not to mention what you'll learn and the people you'll meet while you're there. Tell us all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to go to one of these retreats! I'm so glad you are going, Mary. What a wonderful journey you are on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally resonate with your current cloudiness about your sewing style. I have recently retired and am floundering a little with where I am. I look forward to seeing what you come away with after the gentle guidance of Marcy and Diane, two of my idols. I just started following you on Pinterest and love your boards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally resonate with your current cloudiness about your sewing style. I have recently retired and am floundering a little with where I am. I look forward to seeing what you come away with after the gentle guidance of Marcy and Diane, two of my idols. I just started following you on Pinterest and love your boards.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im sure you will comeback even more inspired...I rarely sew anything these past 5 years.. so busy with the garden .For some reason i have even had a hard time reading...I HAVE done some stitchery and must get busy on some knitting projects...by the end of my day I just need rest right now and have to get ready for grandkids visit....maybe evenings will bring me some reading time before i fall asleep....you are so busy...how do you do it?.....Have a great time at your workshop...

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.