Friday, May 4, 2012

Introducing the Cambie!

I am so proud of my recent project in which I was a pattern tester for Sewaholic Patterns.  I enjoyed the experience and found that I was able to identify a few teeny issues with the pattern.  It was cool to sew in such an analytical way, and to pass on my feedback to a professional.  I hope I can do this again, especially for Tasia at Sewaholic, as her patterns are made for my shape. 
Thank you Tasia!  It was a wonderful experience.  


This is muslin #1 for the new Sewaholic pattern, Cambie.  The dress may be made with either a gathered skirt or an A line.  It's a gorgeous pattern, and comes together quite easily.  As I was testing this pattern, I did not do any alterations except for petite in the length.  This particular muslin is not lined, but I finished it and donated it to a charity in town.

Here is the lined dress I have been wearing:
I sewed a size 10 and found it to be a bit large throughout.  I'll go down to an 8 in my next version.  This dress is made from a cotton batik, and lined with Bemberg rayon lining.  I've worn it twice so far, and have had tons of questions and compliments.  It's a comfortable and nicely drafted dress, and I love how feminine it is.  My next version (size 8) will be a red/white splashy floral and I'll use the gathered skirt.  Oh, did I mention there are pockets?  Bonus!
For further information, here is the link.  I highly recommend this line, and especially this fun to sew and fun to wear dress!
Sewaholic announces the Cambie

21 comments:

  1. Ohh, you are lucky! This dress does look lovely on you. And very nice for that fortunate op-shop visitor who finds the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty dress! And great fun to test a pattern. I always work more carefully when I am testing

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks just gorgeous! Suits you beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic on you Mary. You look really good in dresses! I haven't made one for awhile and inspired to try this pattern. But I think I have a vintage pattern very similar so I will try that one. I like the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, Mary! That is an honor to be asked to test! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely dress and suits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh very nice. I made a full skirt version and will try the a-line next. Great fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look MARVELOUS! How exciting to be a dress tester and what a nice job you did with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's lovely. Great fabric choice too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, this dress suits you so perfectly. Love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dress, I agree with you though, I think a smaller size would be a better fit, it still looks nice though. I also like the A line, but can't wait to see the gathered skirt. And what's not to love about a dress with pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yours is the the 4th Cambie I've seen recently, and I am seriously wanting this pattern when it comes out. It suits every body and every fabric. Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My initial reaction to this pattern was that it was too "young" for me. I'm glad that I have now seen it on you, because I now think that it looks wonderful for all ages. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! The fit is really fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh,how cute! How do you get to be a pattern tester?

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a lovely dress, I have the pattern and I'm looking forward to making it. It is so great to see the made dress, in both styles, on people of all ages and shapes. It makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Dress is very nice and it suits you perfectly, Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool to be a pattern tester! And what a great pattern to test! Your Cambie version is very nice...like the sounds of the next version too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How exciting to be a pattern tester and to end up with such a stunning dress. Can't wait to see the next version.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cute dress! Having been living in a cave ... er ... surrounded by boxes to unpack ... lately, I haven't been following a lot of blogs too closely. I just found out about this pattern on Did You Make That, followed some links and here I am. My sewing room isn't even halfway unpacked yet and I find myself fighting the urge to just order this pattern. Help! lol

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.