Friday, April 27, 2012

Small town life

I live in a small city which is isolated geographically.  We are surrounded by mountains, wildlife refuges and ranches/farms.  Lots of people go THROUGH my town on their way somewhere else but not many make a point of coming here.  Well, unless they are going to college (very good technical college here) or they want to hunt birds (wildlife refuges are prime hunting grounds...ah, the irony) or they are traveling Highway 97 and are amazed at the size of Klamath Lake.  The town is nothing to write home about though the geography is astounding.  We are across the mountains from Ashland, OR-which hosts the Shakespeare Festival and is the home of Southern Oregon University.  As such, that town is a thriving, progressive community.  um, us?   We are probably the opposite.

It is a challenge sometimes.  No shopping, few coffee places, some strong political opinions with which I don't agree.

There are benefits however.  Yesterday my husband and I went to lunch downtown at the Mermaid Cafe, a wonderful little restaurant which serves healthy, good food.  As we were eating, the waitress walked by and said "Oh, I forgot to tell you.  Our Visa machine is broken, so we'll take a check or cash or an IOU."


13 comments:

  1. Very sweet, Mary. Last fall I drove through that area (sort of) when taking DD1 to visit a college in Oregon. It's a beautiful area but, yes, quite remote! Thank goodness for the internet to find like minded friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are not many restaurants that would accept and IOU - nice to know trust still exists in some places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like living a bit isolated out of town in the country but I only live 1 1/2 hours from Melbourne a very large city so I feel like I have the best of both worlds. PS hope both you and your husband are doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PPS - thankyou for your kind condolences , they do mean alot and do help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As my much-older parents must have thought radio and television world-widening, so I praise the Internet for allowing us to share lives lived so differently from our own, and share in such a wonderfully personal way that was never possible before, unless perhaps with "pen pals". Sometime you should tell us all how you came to be there, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We stayed in Klamath Falls in 2004 on our way from the Oregon Coast to Northern California. It was there we saw our first snow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do live in a very beautiful area.
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my Mum's kimono and I will be sure to pass your kind words along. She will be thrilled to have received so many compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love the Mermaid Cafe... Great healthy food.. Clay and I go there often.. and I have used their IOU system.. forgot my checkbook.. not enough cash and paid the IOU my next time in town... I love the Friendly people here... Thanks for posting.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't realize you lived in Klamath Falls - for some reason I thought you lived up in Madras or near there. I've been to Klamath Falls a few times when I flew in to see my sister (who lives in Lakeview). It doesn't seem like there is much there, although my sister sure is happy when she gets there because she can actually shop. Of course, she especially prefers to visit me in Portland, since the shopping is so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice story! I did just reply to your comment re the yaboi bags on my blog, but I'm not sure if you would go back to check it or if you're subscribed to comments, so just copying it for you here: Unfortunately PMC don't seem to offer an online catalogue but if you really do want something I could try to get them to send it, via the people I know at Mulberries. They have a kind of branch office (ha! for Mulberries... branches... haha) in the US so it wouldn't be totally impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything is always a balance! I love my big urban area, but it would be nice to actually know some neighbors. :/

    ReplyDelete
  12. You live in such a beautiful region. I am from Switzerland. Last year we were traveling in Oregon. We stayed in Klamath Falls for a couple of nights. We liked it so much, because it is "isolated". The geography really is just astounding.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.