Tuesday, March 27, 2012

You saw it here first.

Hi everyone, I have been sewing, riding, reading, cooking...everything but writing PR reviews.  I just am not motivated to review some of the sewing I have done. Of the patterns I have made recently, one is just a flared skirt, the other a cardi, and the third...well, it deserves some sort of review.  Let's start here with that third pattern.  

I have long wanted to make up V8684, a drop waist dress which will be OOP soon.   It looks comfortable, interesting, and as though it might hide an extra helping of potatoes-always a point in a pattern's favor! Drop waist dresses are starting to show up and I think this Vogue pattern is a subtle nod to the trend. 

I first made this up last fall in a tropical wool but I fiddled with it while gaining a few pounds, and the damn dress was too tight when done!  Off to Goodwill...some lucky girl picked it up I hope.  I then found some B/W cotton linen blend in my stash, and started again.  I used a 10 for the neckline (too big still), 12 through the bust, and a 14 for the hips.  I modified the back darts to be fisheye darts, and left the front darts alone.  I carefully gathered the skirt to the bodice, and prayed that it would fit.  It does fit, and in fact is a bit big.  :-)

V8684 album  Click to see other views.  I am currently trying to style this in a flattering way.  I like the grey tights and brown boots.  What sweater or jacket would you suggest?  

Next up is a cardi I have had on my "to sew" list for at least 2 years.  V8559  I love Marcy Tilton's designs, and this pattern is so much fun.  As drafted, the back swoops *upwards*, and the front of the cardi is a canvas for creativity.  I had wanted to copy the ivory sample on the envelope, but decided to go with a bit more color.  I found some pretty floral sweater knit at JA, and had some gray knit remnants.  This is more my style-a little vintage and a statement cardigan.  






I paired it with the dress, and with some MT pants...the plain black shell and pants appeal to me most.  You are welcome to go to the album and see the other style choices: cardi album  I like the cardi, and so do others who see it.  It is hard to style right now, but will become easier when I have switched to my warm weather wardrobe.  










Here is a picture showing the detail of the band-5 rows were topstitched in order to get a tunneling effect and add some structure to the plain grey band.  

Finally, I have held onto an old Simplicity pattern forever, hoping to make the purse or the pants.  Of course, desires can change and this was no exception.  I was in a thrift store a few weeks ago and came across some bright yellow shantung.  It was so loud, and so sunny...I had to take it home.  I couldn't imagine that color next to my face, and I really didn't want a pillow.  A skirt!  Of course.   To break up the yellow, I added a pocket using some remnants from my kitchen curtains, and then decided the pocket could use a bit more girly flare.  I pleated the pocket, and also folded the flap to create some movement in the yellow.  I added some buttons (Czech) for decoration.  I love it.  

 




 I am currently working on a project which I love-it is sexy, but ladylike...pretty easy, but looks difficult...can be businesslike or casual.  But, my lips are sealed and I cannot divulge anymore.  



Until later-I look forward to your suggestions on how to style these three new pieces.  
Mary









  

28 comments:

  1. It feels a bit weird to be doing this since I consider myself to be most unfashionable . The Marcy Tilton cardy - I have ! My mum made it for me with the matching tank vest - it does look quite nice with the front panels pinned up with a brooch or whatever .do you have enough of the gray fabric to make the tank top ? I coordinating scarf with your dress would be nice . I find yellow harder to wear - I love this colour and have a yellow and black dress and skirt and top but wear them in very limited ways - I only wear them with black or white so not much help with the yellow skirt .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, a scarf is a brilliant idea! There needs to be some vertical happening.

      Delete
  2. Oh I really love the dress and skirt Mary! I have a little ballet-wrap style cardi that I would wear with that dress I think. I most often wear it just hanging open but sometimes in a knot at the front.
    The skirt I would pair with a simple white t-shirt, I think! And if the weather is right I think boots with dresses and skirts are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking Jane-maybe a ballet wrap in cobalt. A plain white tee with the skirt, and some flats or tennis shoes is on my list too. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Ditto what Janine and Jane just said!!! And...those boots looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, those are Born boots which I got on sale, plus some nice lady handed me her 15% discount card to use while I was trying them on! They feel like butter and the soles are perfectly shaped to my feet. Highly recommended for dressy boots.

      Delete
  4. Well, I love it all! What a fun dress and the skirt is definitely TDF. Love the pocket especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Martha :-) That pocket is cute, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. I love that skirt! I went shopping for fabric to make a yellow skirt and came back empty handed. Yours looks very groovy the way you have styled it.

    I have that same dress patterna nd have not made it up. I think the grey is elegant, but perhaps it needs a splash of colour. Perhaps a bright purple scarf or oversized clutch or group of bangles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right katherine h! This year was my year to try new styles and colors, and I am needing to add back in some of my usual choices. High contrast is best for me-and to be more adventurous with accessories. Thanks...I even have the bangles and the scarf to choose from.

      Delete
  6. Mary they all look great - I too love the little pocket on the skirt and the yellow shouts summer here I come - very pretty.

    I have recently invested in a couple of Marcy Tilton patterns, so I have some catching up to do on that front.

    what will it take to unseal your lips on the special project ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! the special project shall remain a mystery for some time. I'll update my readers when it is time. Bribes? nope.

      Delete
  7. Lovely garments and can envision the dress paired with a cardigan. I really like the black tank & pants with the cardigan and the cute skirt screams funky cool... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the skirt with its fun pocket detail. You're going to get a lot of wear out of that one. In fact all the recent sewing looks wonderful. I like the dress just how you have done it. No jacket. I love MT patterns too although they don't always translate well to me and I am woefully unexperienced in knits, it is so hard to find ones I like the look and feel of.
    Can't wait to see the top secret project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, thanks for your feedback. I admire your work so much!

      Delete
  9. What a great job on everything, but I particularly love your yellow skirt! The way you've styled it with the tank and the boots looks so fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, isn't that skirt cool? Total cost $2.00

      Delete
  10. All great pieces, Mary. I especially like the grey dress...I like it with the tights and boots with bare arms. All it needs is a bold pendant necklace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG...jewelry...you are so right!

      Delete
  11. Such fantastic new garments, you have been busy! I hear you on the writing reviews and blogging thing; I have some new things to but my photographing mojo was taken up with another internet challenge... my own fault!
    Thank you for your gorgeous comment Mary, you are always so kind. (and btw I went over to Janine to apologise for running on in her comments section too. I felt silly about it later)

    ReplyDelete
  12. At it again....you clever lady..love your style!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love the yellow skirt Mary! Andthe pocket is too cute. The grey dress reminds me of a Colette maybe the sleeves?it looks perfectas is. Maybe with a leather motorcycle jacket? Something to tough it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fab projects! I like that cardi a lot, the shape is kicky and the front band gives it an anchor. I am dying for a yellow skirt and just adore yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary, I've nominated you for a blog award. The post will be up at noon on Saturday on http://seamssustainable.blogspot.com. Happy Holiday Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. No advice on styling from here, as I'm completely fashion-challenged, and it wouldn't be worth anything. I do like the dress, though, and the channel stitching on the cardi is a great idea (you did it so perfectly!).

    But the skirt is super-spectacular! Love the color, and the pocket is just wonderful -- clever and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, I'm glad you saw the funny side of the lemon tart! My husband really is an excellent cook, I was not kidding about that part. The recipe is to blame.
    Although my husband reckoned I should just correct myself to mention that I got the pictures the wrong way around ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all of these! I can't wear cardigans like that, but it looks great on you. I love the topstitching on the band! Great job! Colorful skirts are perfect for spring, and that is a nice shade of yellow. The pocket was a really good idea. The whole final outfit is so cute, and I like your boots. Can't wait to see what your next project is! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.