Wednesday, February 15, 2012

what I'm wearing today

Today is one of those icy clear days that the Klamath Basin is so famous for.  From my house I can see new snow on Mt. Shasta, individual trees on the hills and mountains surrounding the basin, and see sunlight bouncing off the lake and the river.  I can hear finches, sparrows, jays and doves right now.  It's clear, quiet, and COLD.

It's a good day to be inside.

I am working on my Minoru jacket and have the lining done, with cute interior pockets.   I love the fabric for both the shell and the lining, and together they are a great pair.  Oh, and do you like my retro pull down ironing board?  It is original to the house, making it about 70 years old.  The little space below is for the iron, but is too small for modern appliances so I don't use it.

Back to the original goal of this post.  I am wearing thrifted lycra pants, which I refashioned into a less garish mix of black and white.  These still have white blanket stitching on all the darts and the waistband-which you will never see.  I also removed the cuffs with the white blanket stitching there. I guess they were some trendy JJill design which lasted a season.  The top is from V8151 which I have used many times.  This tee is made from scraps.  The outer shell is stretch lace (I think cotton) from JA Red Tag  fabrics and the underlayer is a scrap of lilac jersey I had.  I used leftover pieces for the necktie.  I have on purple Sketcher sandals for inside.   If I do go out, I'll need socks and boots.


In other news, my husband and I have been trying to go camping and keep getting sidetracked by life.  We left Monday to go to Death Valley, and after stopping outside of Reno, discovered the slide would not extend on the trailer.  We called a mobile service the next morning and unfortunately, he could not fix it or determine what the problem is.  So, we are back at home and practicing acceptance and powerlessness.  It's all good-that has been our mantra this year so far.  

Back to the Minoru...

14 comments:

  1. Oh my Goodness, how I love this color on you!! Sorry to hear of your failed camping trip, but I applaud your excellent attitude. We are beginning to hear the birds singing here as well, what a welcome sound. I don't know how they manage in our cold but their arrival is uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your vintage ironing board. I'm sure it works great. You make the Pacific NW sound fabulous (if you can watch it from inside a warm house with a sewing machine).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely blouse! I'm with you on wanting to get outside. Hopefully we'll make it out for a winter hike on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your hair, your ironing board and your attitude. C'est la vie. But you look good dealing with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the ironing board how wonderful - great to see your little dogs around (I miss mine) and can't really have any with all my travel now.

    Hope you get to make it out for your hike. Look forward to seeing the finished jacket = great job on pants and tops

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Girl.. Sorry to hear about your travel planned. I am headed out to Arizona for the month of March in search for the warm sun... Will be trying to make a beach camping trip next week and company coming the 26th.. Want to take a day to photograph..but its just too cold..here.. this week...Your jacket is coming along..Love purple on you and The ironing board is so handy huh? Don't know when I will be at book club looks like April. Keep me up on what you gals are reading..
    Have a good rest of the week...
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on your pants. Looking forward to seeing the jacket. Mine is now cut out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty top! I love how older homes have neat features like the ironing board you have. Thanks for sharing that. Sorry to hear your trip was cut short, but you seem to be taking it in stride. I am excited to see your Minuro jacket. The lining is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful top and a wonderful color for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The jacket looks great! I looked at this pattern but the sizing is a tad small for me
    without a major overhaul.. Gosh, what a great job on those pants and tops, who would have known those are all repurposed. The lace is such a lovely color! And who wouldn't enjoy those two cuties keeping you company at the ironing board!
    Bummer on the trip. How disappointing but hopefully you have another attempt in the works. It was clear and cold and beautiful here yesterday too, and YES, carrots were doled out with abandon to one and all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic blouse, and I'm loving both your hair, and the lining to that jacket. Been working with leopard print this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely blouse and great color. I loove your hair... its gorgeous. I have yet to make a blouse from V8151, but have used the sleeves from that pattern for other tops.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes I like that pattern a lot. I have been wanting to make something with a tie neck. Did you ever ,ake it to Death Valley?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I like this blouse! It reminds me of one in my queue from Burda: 10-2010-118. The colour is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.