Sunday, February 26, 2012

Self care Sunday

Hi readers,   Today is as gray as the ocean on a stormy day.  I woke early and did some reading, and tried to find any enthusiasm for exercise...but no, not when it is overcast and in the 30s.  So it is an inside day for me.

I think I combed my hair today but I am unsure.  I do know I brushed my teeth and put on some makeup.  As for what I'm wearing-well, it's a giant gray tee shirt from the local big box store.  What you can't see are the worn out blue knit pants, and the old lady Sketchers.  This whole ensemble is such a reflection of the weather!  At least I'm smiling.


Today I have been pretty busy with some home "chores".  I made liquid soap today and homemade hand lotion.  Both recipes resulted in wonderful products.


 DIY liquid soap:
1 cup grated hand soap (I used 3/4 bar of Yardley lavender soap)
10 cups of water
1-2 Tbs glycerin
1. Boil water.
2. Grate soap while water is boiling.
3. Add soap, and glycerin.  Stir until dissolved, then cool outside until it is the consistency of jello.
4. Use a hand mixer to liquefy it if it is too gloopy or semi solid.
 note-the layer visible in the picture is some leftover soap which I reheated.  It will mix in as it is used.
source: savvyhousekeeping blog





The hand lotion recipe was really an experiment on my part.  I found some recipes online for lotion *bars* but I wanted a light and frothy cream.  Here is what I did:
1 cup of generic hand cream
3-4 Tbs of Vaseline
a small jar of Vit. E cream (2.5 oz)
some grapeseed oil

I put all of this in a mixing bowl and used my hand mixer to whip it until light.  I then put it into containers, and filled some pump bottles throughout the house.  I have perhaps twice as much lotion as I started with.  It has a very light smell, and the Vaseline is not sticky.

I have been sewing in bursts of 30-45 minutes at a time the last few days.  I have a dress in the making and a wrap blouse almost completed.  I sometimes get really focused on finishing techniques and hand sewing.  This blouse is one of those projects.  I am very happy with the fit and the work so far.  The pattern is V8292 (OOP) View C.  I did not include the front and back darts as I want this to be loose fitting for warm weather.  I also want the focus to be on the neckline and the sleeves.  The sleeves are puffed, and darted at the hem.  I am using a crepe back satin and spending quite a bit of time with controlling raveling! :-)




I used bias tape on the neckline, and self finishing on the other seams.  The sleeves will have hem lace.  Many of you already use this notion, but I do know some have not ever used it.






Here is what I did on this ravelly crepe sleeve hem:

zig zag the raw edge of the fabric and then pin on the lace

stitch the lace onto the fabric using a zig zag
Fold up, measure and press.  Then hand sew the hem using a catch stitch.


I hope your weekend has been good-I am looking forward to checking Google Reader to see what you have been doing today!

18 comments:

  1. I think I had the same kind of weekend....which is good every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, kind of a vacation from adult life.

      Delete
  2. I was watching a TV show that showed you how to make your own perfume. I wear Jo Malone Orange Blossom perfume so if I can find some orange blossom oil, I want to have a go myself. Love the idea on the liquid soap will have to give that a go.

    I have been making my own multi-purpose household cleaner that just cleans everything from glass and mirrors to kitchen and bathroom surfaces and it is simply household ammonia, water, tiny drop of washing liquid, and some scented disinfectant - I use Zaflora - spring bouquet which is a lovely smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the cleaner recipe-I'll try it. We use vinegar and some Dawn detergent for general cleaning.

      Delete
  3. OHHHH, I LOVE the color on that blouse. I bet it looks stunning on you. OOP you say... bummer, but I'll enjoy seeing the finished garment on you for sure. The pretty lace binding is a handsome finish. I never think to pick any up when I make an infrequent pop over to JA, but I'm putting it on my list. My grandmother finished just about every garment hem with it and as a girl I always found it to be a girly and fun surprise of sorts on even the plainest and sturdiest of clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the color, and hope I can achieve a retro look with it and the sleeves. The hem lace is a nod to my Grandma too. She and I also did bound buttonholes together. hmmm, I sew too fast now.

      Delete
  4. Been feeling like this all week and having great difficulty getting motivated...hope things change for the better this week. Need some sunshine in my life:)

    Hope your week brings sunshine and happiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne, hope you feel more motivated and sparkley too!

      Delete
  5. You're very talented making these products and sewing. I finished my M jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, your jacket is awesome-I love it. I cannot imagine doing the zippered welt pockets. They add such a wonderful technical look to your sporty jacket. As for me being talented, no...just frugal.

      Delete
  6. What lovely details on the top! I am sure it will be very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Trena. I will update after finishing the hem. I would love to machine hem it and be done, but I think I should hand hem this as I have put so much effort into it already. I can hear my Grandma's voice saying this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah.. An ugly day Winter... and today Tuesday is worse.. with this awful snow. Can hardly wait to head south next week.. packing stuff tomorrow.. So looking forward to some sunshine even if the temps only upper 60's low 70s..
    Take care and keep those "winter blahhhh clothes close.. The do feel comfy huh?
    ( glad you brushed your teeth..lol)
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, wish we were heading south and sharing the road with you and Clay. Have fun!

      Delete
  9. Grey is such a beautiful colour for you Mary! And I think your new blouse is going to be just divine... the lace hem is a very nice finish. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I am hand sewing the main hem now and hope to finish this afternoon. We are having an giant snowstorm the last few days and I barely survived driving last night...so I am staying home today.

      Delete
  10. I've chosen you for the Versatile Blogger Award. If you like, you can visit my blog and grab it and post it on yours but I see you already have it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'll be happy to pass it on also.

      Delete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.