Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Minoru jacket reveal




                                           Minoru jacket album


I love this jacket with it's casual outdoor wear look and feminine shape.  It is easy to wear, and pretty easy to sew.  I used uncut corduroy for this version (yes, there will be more) in a warm rust color.  The lining is a leopard print which I think is super fun.  I like the raglan sleeves, the gathers along the shoulders, and the elastic waist treatment.  The cuffs are also gathered and are tight on the wrist.  This is a big plus for me as I like my cuffs to be tidy and stay on my wrists.  The velcro on my other jackets gets a workout as I am constantly tightening the cuffs.  I also used a double zipper for this version so I could wear it while riding-you need to unzip from the bottom sometimes when on horseback.  Before this jacket gets close to Woodrow, I think I'll wear it in clean surroundings for a year or so!


What would I add to make this even better?  Pockets!  The pattern has interior pockets, but none on the outside.  Tasia, of Sewaholic Patterns, has linked to some great tutorials for adding a variety of pockets and I'll be sure to use one of them next time.  Besides pockets, I would alter the sleeve length even more than I did.  They are so long and the corduroy bunching up bothers me.  Not enough to remove the cuff and fix it...but it is a negative in my opinion.  Tasia said she wears the cuff down on her hand-not my style and now I know to alter more.  


The sizing is close to RTW.  I sewed a 10 (36-30-42) with petite alterations, and could have easily sewed an 8. Finished measurements for a 10 are (42-36-49).  Pattern sizes run from 0 (30-24-36) to 16 (41-35-47).  Finished measurements are quite a bit bigger, and you can adjust by cinching in the waist.  


Highly recommended to you!


In closing, thank you so much from both Ross and me for your well wishes and kind comments.  We appreciate your support and are touched by your responses.  







36 comments:

  1. Your jacket looks great! Fabulous color on you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful jacket, Mary...I'm going to have to investigate this pattern. I love the color on you and the fit looks perfect!

    I join the others in wishing you and Ross the best, and I, too, admire you for honoring his wishes in keeping the difficult time to yourself. It ain't easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One word: awesome! It looks great on you: stylish, feminine and practical all in one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a beautiful job you have done on this jacket! It looks very expensive with the warm color, textured surface, distinctive lining, and double zip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours looks great! Love the color... it's similar to mine! And the double zipper is another great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fine wale corduroy and yours looks wonderful!!! I might have missed my Minoru weather as it's 75 today but I will keep your future changes in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why you are going to make more. Great jacket! Love the colour on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. I especially like the collar! That is going to work well in your life, I think. It will be even better with external pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You so had me at "the lining is leopard print"....I love version #1!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your jacket looks great - the elastic treatment around the waist makes it more stylish than your usual kind of casual jacket but still comfy . I can see what you mean about external pockets though . Will you wear this while riding or will it attract too much horse hair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I was expecting a LENGTHY post lol! Absolutely gorgeous! I imagine that folks who don't know you will think you bought it from a high-end sporting store. Love the color, the lining, the collar, and your technique looks flawless - great job!

    I didn't realize it doesn't have pockets - I would need to change that too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Love Love the jacket.. You are so clever and creative..I would like pockets on mine when you make me one.. * in your spare time of course*
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  13. The jacket looks fabulous Mary! It looks snuggly yet sort of sporty. Great idea to add the double-ended zip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look mah-velous! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow looks fantastic - spooky I bought some corduroy only last week in more or less the same colour.

    Enjoy wearing this

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful jacket, Mary! Love the color, love the style, love the lining!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your jacket looks wonderful. Such a pretty colour. I've been eyeing this pattern. Looks to be a very wearable jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous! Love this on you, beautiful color and fit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aren't you glad you can sew?! I think after this you need to change your Pattern Review Sewing Skills rating to Advanced. Frankly, I'd like to have the exact jacket you've made; I guess I'll have to get this pattern (so it can sit with all my other unmade patterns, hoping to be next). And, by the way, your hair looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that's an amazing coat! You really do look great, even better than any RTW.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Utterly gorgeous! I just love your new coat. The colour is amazing. Now I feel like my khaki one is boring. This is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The jacket looks great, I can see the leopard lining peeking through, nice touch! I agree with you though, a jacket absolutely needs outside pockets. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your jacket looks fabulous! The color and lining are gorgeous, and it suits you very well. (Although I haven't heard of uncut corduroy...?!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your version of the Minoru (especially that lining!). Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great version. I really love the look of corduroy for a jacket and this just seems like the perfect cosy fabric.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sometimes sewing is such a good way for us to get our minds off the problems and concerns of everyday life, isn't it? It's like one little thing we can control when nothing else is going our way. And your jacket looks really stylish and sporty.God bless you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is gorgeous! I love the color and the fabric - and the interesting shoulder/sleeve design is a nice unique feature.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm glad you made it in cordoroy. I was thinking about doing one in cordoroy and was unsure if it was too heavy a fabric choice. Now I'll go right ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the sophisticated color for your corduroy -- and the fun flash of your lining! I'll be making more Minorus, too; the pattern lends itself to all kinds of adaptations.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This jacket looks amazing on you! I love the lining too, it's like a little secret. Where did you get this pattern? What is uncut corduroy, without the lines?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you to everyone for their kind comments and compliments! I love my new jacket, and will surely make this up again. Craftygyrl, this is by Sewaholic Patterns and you can order it online. Finally, uncut corduroy is without the wale, or lines.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love you jacket. Great fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great jacket! I'm getting some serious corduroy envy now... Love the colour and that sneaky lining.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.