Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Trust the process

glitter!  spirals! 

Sewing, crafting and DIY friends,  I have been absolutely remiss in blogging lately.  It isn't that I am slacking, or traveling, or have taken up a new hobby.  I'm just busy.  Not only have I been sewing and reading and hanging out with Mr. Biblioblog, but I have been experiencing an incredible amount of creative thought.  So much so that I am uncomfortable and want it to stop. To help quell some of the inner madness, I thought I'd use some fun fabric from my stash and sew a new silhouette for myself.  Here is B5496 in polyester chiffon.  This fabric was shoved into the corner of the Red Tag section in JA and when I saw it, my heart just skipped a beat.  I love it.  It's very subtle at first glance, but interesting and quirky at a second glance.

On the right is B5527, another poufy tunic.  I am not as happy with this one as I think the gathered neckline, along with the elastic waist, have an unsophisticated look.  It looks better with a belt.

Both of these tunics demand that I wear heels, and that is something I don't do unless going out.  I am wearing wedges, I think Clarks, and I really need a slimmer and higher heel in this picture.  I'm going to come back to this style of tunic later on, and try to find a more chic look.  Elastic waists are not great on a short waisted petite ;-)

So, back to my original statement about creativity.  I have made a lot of different pieces this season-hats, jackets, asymmetrical tunics, oversize tees, vests, and ruched tops.  Somewhere in this storm of sewing, I lost my way.  I had fun exploring some new types of clothing, but now it's time to come back to earth and think about everyday outfits.  So, here is what I have done.  I pulled all my wardrobe and coordinate patterns out, and arranged them in complementary pairs or trios.  I have started sewing pieces from these wardrobe patterns, and using my color palette so they stand a good chance of mixing and matching.  M5890 is up first: black capris (have), black cardi (done last year), brown/black top (black top done)
S2288 is next and I'll be making brown pants and  floral cardi.  These pieces will coordinate with M5890

I'll update you as I work, and would appreciate any feedback.  Really.  Any.  This is my attempt to corral my thoughts and inspiration into an avenue which will lead to a wearable wardrobe.  That is my #1 goal.

In the meantime, how is it going for you?  Are you sewing exactly what you want to, in the fabrics of your choice?

16 comments:

  1. I like your new tops! and it is always a good feeling to get organised. Sorting out the wardrobe can be a particularly cathartic experience for a woman who loves her clothes.
    I would love to see that picture of you in a 70;s red dress. I think red might be one of your colours, and I'll bet you look sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly admire your first tunic. It looks terrific over the dark clad limbs and with the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary how nice to hear from you again. Wardrobe sewing is very rewarding and I am looking forward to seeing your progress. My head has been spinning of late, which means little sleep (apparently) and lots of lists:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! Sometimes it can be hard to balance creativity versus practicality. But don't push that creative streak too far away, becuase when it goes into hiding you will miss it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so easy to get caught up in creativity, only to realize that it has not a whole lot to do with the reality of daily life. I'll have to follow your lead on getting the projects "organized" to make sense, or more importantly to actually have full outfits to wear on a daily basis.
    Your tunics look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two lovely pieces for your wardrobe! I think I have a goal in the back of my mind to make repeats of what worked for me last year, along with trying a few new patterns. I am also thinking to myself, "Will I really wear this?" before venturing out to make something new. So, I think I am with you on the "practicality" side this year. One thing I love about living in Hawaii is I do feel like I can get away with a lot of color in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the first tunic! I'm trying to balance the creative & the practical myself, and I think that my ideal balance is to have a touch of the creative in almost every practical piece. And let the teeter totter swing over to the totally-boring-and-practical pair of pants, or t-shirt, that helps fill a wardrobe gap, balanced on the other side by a splash of some over-the-top piece of whimsy that won't get worn a lot, but will be fun to wear when I do. (the Peony Vest, for instance)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will you guide me to the fold of practicality? I seem to have lost my bus ticket! I like the idea of organizing the patterns- maybe that will make me a little more grounded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good on you for going back to what you enjoy. Both tunics are great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved that you've taken everything out to match it all up. I have two categories of clothes. Those fit only for the barn and everything else. Once something crosses the line to barn wear it never comes back. ;) And yes, one can ride in a ruffled rayon crepe
    blouse and feel quite dashing! The horse cares not a whit about the interesting stain on the front of the ruffle.
    The tunics are so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I have both those patterns in my stash so look forward to seeing them made up - I sometimes find that my head gets full of creative ideas and its hard to focus and get them transferred into a garment.

    like your tops.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like both of your tunics and I think your styling is spot on - slim darker pants. The fabric in your first tunic is great _ I wish I could find more non floral patterned fabric to work with. It can be hard to balance creativity with reality - some women really wear unusual clothes well but horse riding and gardening really demand practical clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your tops! I'm one lacking in the creativity department at all times. I am simply excellent at following directions or copying someone else's brilliant ideas. And although I've never actually laid out my wardrobe to see what pairs well, I do have a mental "closet" that helps when I'm looking at new projects. Y'know, "Oh, yeah! This will look good with those pants!" or whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the second tunic is quite flattering, actually. The light color and airy fabric make it more ethereal than the usual tunic. As to creativity, man, I know about the rat running in the wheel in the brain! Writing it down helps me (which is why my project list is so long).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the second tunic too.i also like the first for winter. You should try both with some slim or skinny jeans a wide belt, and some flat boots over the jeans. For balance voluminous on top goes with narrow on the bottom.Add some dangly earrings and it will be Boho chic. I have the same problem with my sewing projects. I call it sewing ADD.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think your asymmetrical tunics have been some of the best looks on you. I'm also petite and short wasted, and I know what you mean about elastic waists not looking great.
    I think both the patterns you have picked out are very flattering, down to earth, and are very you. can't wait to see it all done up!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.