Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day Two

















I have my wonderful Minoru jacket shell and lining cut out and marked.  It actually became a chore, which surprised me as layout and cutting are a favorite task for me.  When I pressed the fabric, I noticed there were discolorations in the shape of semi circles along one selvage...as if the bolt had gotten wet!  I was able to cut around most of the flaws and layout the remaining pieces so any dark color will be hidden when wearing.  I then took out a second piece of fabric which I had bought a few months after the first.  The dye lots were slightly different and the texture of the uncut corduroy is also different.  Due to the above circumstances, my jacket will not have a hood.  It's all good though.

Today it is snowing...finally.  We are supposed to get up to 9 inches of snow so I'll be staying home and sewing today.  Well, and shoveling as a break from sewing.  Then, cooking as a break from shoveling.  We live on a very steep hill and driving down the hill is exciting while driving up the hill when un-plowed is nerve wracking.



Have a wonderful day, readers.  I'll be back with photos of my progress.  In the meantime, it's a perfect day for quiet hobbies at home.

14 comments:

  1. The tweaks and changes we have to make along the way - the challenges of the sewer! Looking forward to the next stage of your Minoru...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doobee, yes...the challenges are integral to the enjoyment for me.

      Delete
  2. so many people are making this jacket - good luck - look forward to seeing it - hope you don't get snowed in and then run out of an essential item to finish your jacket ha ha ---- have sewing shovelling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, this is the one project I have bought everything for ahead of time...I think because it is a first for this pattern line for me.

      Delete
  3. I'm really curious about that screen shot. What is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I grabbed it off a Google search. It's a CAD type program...when I took an engineering course a number of years ago, our software program laid out the components of what we were to build like that. We could rotate them in 3D.

      Delete
  4. How lovely for the weather to facilitate your creative endeavors. I look forward to seeing your jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "layout and cutting are a favorite task for me" - I need you to come over and do some layout and cutting for me. I hate that part! LOL.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. deal Sharon! I will do the layout and cutting; you can do my hems and buttonholes :-)

      Delete
  6. I actually like laying out and cutting too, and don't understand when seamstresses say what a chore it is...! Would the marks on the first fabric not wash out? And I'm sure it would be OK for your hood to be a slightly different shade from the rest of the jacket. I would probably steam ahead and make up the hood in the slightly different fabric anyway, since it is detachable... Good luck with the next stage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marks did not come out when washed-either they were from moisture or the bolt got bent and the nap was distorted. The vendor is a favorite of mine and I was disappointed that the flaw wasn't noticed. I should have said something when I received it, but I did not. Lesson learned!

      Delete
  7. I am one of those who does not like laying out and cutting. Yes, it is all part of the creative process, but... I just can't wait for the part where I'm putting together the pieces and actually making things come together - that and the finishing details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ack! finishing details...I lose momentum at those details. I still do them but with less enthusiasm.

      Delete
  8. I usually like cutting, but because I should be muslining everythin, most of my (lazy) cutting is an educated guess based on measurements. Which can be successful or horrible!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.