Thursday, November 3, 2011

Beauty and self care

So NOT me
I am not a high maintenance woman.  I get my hair cut every few months, I do my own manicures, I wax my own...well, TMI.  As I was saying, I keep it simple.  For some reason, I have been neglecting myself lately and it has started to show.  So, today I played beauty parlor and took care of some bothersome details.


Anyone out there with dry and even cracked heels from a summer of sandals?  


This recipe rocks:


               Treating cracked heels and blackened feet
1.  Put shaving cream on your feet.
2.  Combine equal parts warm water and Listerine.
3.  Soak a small hand towel in the solution of water and Listerine.
4.  While the shaving cream is still on your feet, wrap the wet hand towel around your feet and let it sit for 30 minutes.
5.  After 30 minutes, use the towel to rub your feet. Some of the calloused and discolored skin will rub off.
6.  Apply a healthy amount of lotion to your feet.


Repeat 3 times a week, at the most.  


my anger 
I also treated my hair to a deep conditioning mask.  A few months ago, I went to the hairdresser (who shall remain nameless) and asked her to "strip" the hard water stains off my grey hair.  I have done this before and it gets all the slight yellowing out.  Anyway, she took advice from someone else, and put who knows what on my hair.  It turned blonde!  The grey was blonde and the few strands of dark hair turned light brown.  OMG.  I was shocked, and pissed, and sad.  I love my hair color, and I was not happy with blonde.   There wasn't much I could do-I didn't want to add color and further compound the problem.  In addition, and worse, was that I could feel that my scalp got burned slightly at the crown, and that the hair back there was not soft and supple.  


My hair started falling out.
It continues to break off even now.  
I have fuzzy grey hairs popping up on my crown.  Thank god it's growing back.


I did go back to her and show her the damage.  She added in some streaks in champagne color (which are really pretty) and gave me some super expensive treatment cream to use.  She hasn't charged me a dime, and feels awful.  Lesson learned.


                            Simple Hair Mask
2 Tbs honey
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar 


Apply to dry and dirty hair, working from the roots to the ends.
Cover with plastic, and then with a towel.
Leave on for 30-60 minutes, and then rinse out completely.
Follow with your favorite shampoo and conditioner.    


As I type, I am letting my hair air dry, and will give it a break from curling irons etc today.
What beauty and self care routines do you have?  What favorite recipes would you like to share?   

11 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I have no beauty and self care routines to share because I'm totally lazy when it comes to this type of stuff (one of the main reasons I don’t colour my hair… I often don’t even blow dry it!), but thanks for sharing yours - I'll be trying the hair mask for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like to keep things simple. I maintain my own hair and may go to the hair salon twice a year, do my own manicure & pedicure and also shaving & plucking as required.

    I deep condition my hair by clarifying my deep conditioner: 4 tablespoons of the deep conditioner, 2 tablespoons of Jojoba oil & 1 teaspoon of essential oil... perferrably peppermint oil

    After shaving, I make sugar scrub to exfoliate: 4oz jar, fill with turbinado sugar or regular sugar, essential oil & carrier oils (sometimes I use EVOO), mix well and presto.

    I no longer buy body lotion, and make massage oil instead or I make body butter.

    I designate a 2-3 hours on the weekend for me time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the foot care posting.. I will give it a try.. I thought your hair looked really nice when I saw you last.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I don't have any beauty recipes to share. I am so terrible at taking extra time like this for myself, although I do visit the salon for highlights about three times a year. I'd love to try your foot recipe. Living year round in slippers and sandals...my feet sure do get dry. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How traumatic on your hair! It is so much of our identity as women. It would be so hard to have the self you present to the world changed without your consent! I have no beauty routine, which is beginning to show. I need to get on a regular schedule of dyeing my eyelashes. I don't wear mascara regularly because it irritates my eyes, but it makes such a difference for my eyelashes to be visible (natural blonde=clear eyebrows and eyelashes).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the foot recipe and hair mas. Id love to try it. Im afaraid im not too creative and buy all my beauty products at the drug store or beauty supply!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and I am sorry about your hair too because I saw your photo on your trip and thought, there is one of the few who look really pretty with silver hair. It doesnt suit everyone but it looks really lovely on you.I am sure it will grow back fine. I think your stylist bleached it. That's why it became brittle and blonde. Just keep conditioning it. I have had many color mishaps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to all of you for commiserating with me. I really took the hair color mishap to heart, and had to go on a small shopping spree to feel better. Justine, I cannot believe how blase (how do I make an accent mark?) you are "I have had many color mishaps!" wow.

    So, I love the sugar scrub that Sheila describes above, and recommend EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) to those of you who want a skin care routine that will be natural and healthy and effective. I used to use it every night but switched back to a commercial product because of dark spots from age. I'll do anther post with your suggestions and skin care concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the ideas. The bleaching story is quite appalling. Nothing makes me feel more insecure than a botched hair cut, so I make my hubby cut my air so I can boss him around! And I find that the less I do to my hair the better it looks. As I get more grey hairs, I see they are more brittle and I have to shampoo much less. I hope I can go grey as beautifully as you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm just catching up on blog posts today, and oh, your hair experience is just so AWFUL. I have fought my prematurely grey hair monthly since I was about 25 yrs old. My mom went grey very early, too, but I'm just not ready for that yet. She now has a beautiful head of silver-white hair - very much like yours, and it's a struggle for her to keep the yellow tinges out of it, too. I think she uses a Redken hair product with silver or purple or some odd colour in it. It works wonders in keeping her hair a pristine white. I'm so sorry for your poor scalp, and I'm glad the hairdresser has sense enough to play mea culpa for free.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good on you for going back to the hairdresser and giving them a chance to put things right. I have mostly avoided hairdressers for some years, to save stress about disasters, and save money! I have 'washed' and 'conditioned' my hair with bicarb soda and apple cider vinegar solutions for a couple of years now and it suits me fine. If you're interested, google 'no shampoo' or similar, there's a fair bit of info about it out there. That 'simple hair mask' sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.