Tuesday, September 6, 2011

traveling in style

I'll be in Guanajuato, Mexico in October and I am so excited to make this trip.  We spend time on the border each year, and all the news reports are correct-it is pretty close to Afghanistan in tone at times.  This fall I'll be inland, staying in a colonial town with buildings dating to the 16th century.  The town is renowned for its  architecture, and also for the festivals in the fall.

I am not even checking airfares yet because I have been so busy--->deciding on a travel wardrobe.  It needs to be cool for walking, and have some layers for the evening.  The area is at 6500 ft, so will be windy and cool at night.   I used that information to choose a few warm tops, like the long sleeve coral top, the blue striped top and the tan/brown striped sweater.  These will coordinate with either a pair of greenish slacks and also with some white jean capris.  That would give me 4 outfits...not nearly enough.  So I picked some light woven shells, and sleeveless brown sweater.  The brown sweater and rust cardi will coordinate with both slacks and jeans=2 more outfits.  6...getting closer.  The 5 other woven shells will go with each pair of pants, giving me 10 other combinations.  Sixteen total so far.  


I need to weed out the not so lovely stuff, and add a pair of pants in a dark knit.  I have a few pairs but they are too big and while they'd be fine, I feel sloppy in them.  I'd like a pair of tight fitting brown knit pants and maybe also a black pair.  And I need a warmer cardi in black-that is already in my closet.

I haven't looked at footwear, hat or purse yet.  Do you have any pearls of wisdom for me?

Hysteria aside, I am having fun, and view this as a chance to buy new shoes :-)

3 comments:

  1. I applaud making an organised list like this, something I should adopt too! Somehow I just never do though... and an excuse for new shoes sounds like a winner to me ;)

    I'm really looking forward to seeing your final travel wardrobe, I hope you showcase how you choose to co ordinate the separates together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could help you, but when it comes to packing, I'm unable to fill a suitcase. And it usually proves to be enough.:-)
    You have 16 outfits so far. In my opinion it is enough for a month. Wearing the same outfit twice is not a crime, unless you want to change every day, of course. How about a dress and skirts that match your tops when it's hot during the day?
    And don't forget the bathing suit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love to have a reason to buy shoes! Your travel wardrobe is shaping up nicely.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.