Friday, August 19, 2011

McCall's Easy Fit Easy Sew 7857

I am working with this vintage pattern and am impressed so far with the pattern, the markings, and the directions.  The tissues are marked with very clear and heavy lines for petite, small, medium and large.  Each notch is numbered and the pleats are clearly marked.  The instructions come in a very nice booklet (I see Colette Patterns was not the first to use this idea) and the instructions are extremely detailed and seem to assume that the pattern is for a very new sewist.

After reading a book on proportion and style, I learned that I should never wear this type of skirt.  I am either deluded in thinking that my waist and hips are big (in proportion to the rest of me) or this skirt will look hideous on me.  This should be an interesting experiment.  Stay tuned for more!

4 comments:

  1. Never say never. Enjoy the sewing, then see what it looks like on before you make a judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! You know what you like and what makes you feel good. You'll know, and as Irene noted, you'll have fun in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful pattern, and I agree, never say never until you have tried it out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a couple of those books on style and proportion. They are a great guideline. At least one gets to find out why the ohsobeautiful garment didn't work out as expected. Unless you were aiming for contrast, of course.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.