Sunday, November 28, 2010

yippee...I am done!

I finished making up all the patterns for my entries into the PatternReview Pattern Stash contest.  In the last 2 months, I tried 19 patterns which I had bought with the best of intentions but never made up.  They ranged from Vogue tops (a sure bet) to crafty home dec (bordering on kitsch) and farther afield into caftan territory.  You can look through either my Picasa album or go to PR if you are truly interested.  Much of what I made was for the purpose of testing the pattern so I did not put a lot of effort into finding the right fabric.  Thus you will see some truly interesting double knit used for tops better suited to jersey, the same red fabric used for shorts, a ball cap and a home dec project, and finally a giant pink nightshirt!  pattern stash album on Picasa

Finishing big projects like this makes me feel competent and ready to tackle whatever else might come my way.  I also am thoroughly bored by making stuff  "just because I bought the pattern".  I've learned some interesting things doing the contest--->1) I need to trust my intuition and not try to make garments that I am unsure about.  If I don't think it will work out, I am probably right.  2)  When making anything other than clothing, I tend to rush and not put as much care into the project.  I need to slow down.  3)  I don't think I will buy anymore patterns for awhile. 

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy. I enjoyed looking through your album. You have some winners in there. Learning to ride a scooter? Hope you are smiling soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of sewing for 2 months! Thank-you for sharing your your efforts. I also have a stash of patterns (oh, those pattern sales!), but most of mine are for jackets, suits and dresses that would take just too much time to "whip up", so I prefer to quietly ignore them. I applaud your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you feel virtuous, using all those patterns? One each few days! well done. I would take that feeling and use it to buy more patterns, but I am a sad case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 19!!! Highly impressive! I managed two patterns that met the guidelines, out of at least a dozen garments sewn during the time period. I should definitely buy fewer patterns, because if I don't make them up right away it seems I'm not likely to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that blue scooter. Hope you stay warm down there in Southern Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a prodigious amount of sewing. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the variety of things you produced. What a fun couple of months this has been! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary... In answer to your question about making slipcovers ... if you're serious, I'd be delighted to help (or have you done slipcovers before???) It is such a labor intensive form of sewing, going thru all those layers and the machine not wanting to ... I have an excellent DVD to recommend (I should review it on PR, as a matter of fact), and I just found another EXCELLENT youtube in 25 parts (which I will also review on PR).

    Happy travels to the warm climes.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.