Thursday, November 11, 2010

M 5276 is finally done

I love clothes.  I like having a wardrobe that is flattering, easy to wear and somewhat fashionable.  I have never, ever followed current fashion.  I admire fashion as art, love looking at makeup and hairstyles for the color and texture, but my own look has not really changed over the years.  Well, my hair has greyed, and my skin is a bit older but overall, my style is a personal "real" style which is mine.


All of this is to explain the jacket on the left.  This is a replacement for a beautiful vintage jacket I had for about 25 years.  The color was almost identical but the vintage jacket was a boxy, military shape with tabs and bakelite buttons.  I loved those details and the color but knew the shape was very, very wrong for my own shape.  Being a somewhat conservative fashionista, I decided to replace it with a similar fabric and a better shape.  That way, I had a 50% chance of success.

I chose this swing style as a nod to another favorite vintage jacket I had from 1970 to around 1985.  My mom had a red car coat in this style which I inherited and I wore until it was threadbare.  So, Mom, this jacket is my thanks to you for the few years we had together. 

This post  gives some background to the project.  I would guess that I worked on this jacket off and on for a few weeks...adding silk bias binding for the seam finishes, using lace for hem finishes, unpicking and resewing the collar (sigh).  It was a labor of love-love of color, of the fabric, the style, and of memories.

The pattern includes two collar options, pockets and sleeve options, and this wonderful inverted pleat for the back of the jacket.   I love the swing style with the bell sleeves. I can see this pattern made up in a variety of fabrics worn from fall to spring.  In fact, I am considering this in a floral for spring.

The pattern runs large as the jacket is meant to be loose fitting.  I normally sew a 10-12 with a bit of 14 at the hips but this is a straight 10 and has room for a sweater underneath.  Another caution is the length-I dislike the length of the jacket as drafted. It is quite short, and would probably hit above my waist as drafted. This is not a good look for a small person, IMO.  I added an inch to the overall length.  This is a huge adjustment as I normally remove an inch...so this jacket is 2 inches longer than it might have been.  


Total cost, excluding my time:
VW lambswool flannel $1.95/yd
vintage button-free
thread etc-negligible
Total cost-Approx $6.00...maybe $8.00 because of the hem lace. 



M 5276 is now OOP but easy to find.  Highly recommended for those with a few jackets already in their experience. 

10 comments:

  1. That's a really pretty jacket and very flattering on you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this jacket - and the colour, like I mentioned in your post about the bias binding, is one of my faves! I hope you enjoy it as much as you did your vintage one. It looks amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, this is totally gorgeous! Thankyou for your advice re adding to the length, I will keep this in mind if I ever get around to making up this pattern. Your example is certainly a wonderful inspiration and I would LOVE this in my wardrobe!
    So nice that your were inspired by much loved jacket from your mother...
    And thankyou for your such kind words on my blog yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary that is a lovely jacket and looks great on you! I am back from my time away and now can see what your up to more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable! I love the swingy shape, and hem lace is always a nice touch. Love to see someone else using that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this jacket. Such a fresh pretty style and it looks super on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful jacket! Love the shape. The colour is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I snapped up that VW fabric at the sale price too, and am so glad to see it sewn up. Terrific coat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A gorgeous jacket, in which you look lovely. I adore the colour, the lace, the story about your mother, and the bargain fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your opening paragraph on this post. I agree heartily, and that's probably the biggest reason that I enjoy sewing so much. Creating one-of-a-kind individual garments for a person's definitive style is much more satisfying than trying to keep up with the latest and (not so) greatest ideas of the fashion business.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.