Monday, October 25, 2010
McCall's jacket and what I did this morning
I have everything cut out, the inverted pleat in, and the back attached to the front. Cutting a size 10 seems to be working so far. Carolyn, of Handmade by Carolyn, made a muslin some time back and warned me the pattern runs quite large. I trust her judgment and am keeping my fingers crossed as to the overall look when this is done. My first "try on" was positive, and I think I will only need to take in the side seams a smidge (official sewing term), and the armholes in by 1/2 inch or so. I won't alter the armholes until pinning in the sleeves to see what they might look like. The model in the picture has sloping shoulders, I believe, and I want to see what happens on my particular body.
This morning I added silk bias strips to the pleat seams. I used an old tie which I had snagged just for this purpose. Here is a closeup of the bias binding pattern.
Here is what the inverted pleat looks like on the inside of the jacket.
In other news, we had a butt kicker of a rainstorm yesterday and snow last night. I am cozy in my house but must go out to the barn and ride Woodrow. I'd like to stay warm in my sewing room, but the Woodster was higher than a kite yesterday because of being kept in his stall. Those of you with children can relate-except mine is 1000 lbs. Cowgirl up!