Friday, September 17, 2010

What's there to read around here?

I grew up in a family of readers.  Our house had books in the bookcase, beside beds, next to chairs, books in German, French and English, some Spanish, fairy tales next to Freud, Kipling next to physics texts.  I love reading, and I find myself lost sometimes with too many books going at once.  I need a plan.

My book group met tonight and we developed a list of books we'd like to read together.  Actually, we have a list that is far too long and we narrowed it down to 3 books from now until Dec.  Here is our short list and dates of meetings (KF book group people, take note please):

Keeper of the Bees by Gene Stratton-Porter;  meeting Oct 15 @ Judy's house
Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes; meeting Nov 12 @ Cathy's house (is this okay with you Cathy?)
A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick;  meeting Dec 10 @ Beth's house

Other books on our "want to read" list include:                                  
Freedom: A Novel by Jonathon Franzan
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style by Tim Gunn
Pattern Recognition by William Gibson
Red Hook Road by Ayelet Waldman
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks byRebecca Skloot
The Woman Who Fell From the Sky by Jennifer Steil
Being Wrong:Adventures in the Margin of Error by Kathryn Schulz
Sunday's Child (The Pea Island Gold Trilogy) by Tom Lewis
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

We have a nice blend of genres, of old and new, fiction and non fiction.  Still to come---an autobiography or biography.  I'm interested in True Compass and could use some suggestions for additional biographies.  We'd like to include a book/movie combination and this title was suggested-Never let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.  Beth seemed ambivalent about including it after having read a summary, so I found a trailer to watch.  I think the film will be as wonderful as Remains of the Day but far creepier...here is a conversation with Mr. Ishiguro about the themes within the story.


As always, I ended the evening feeling full of excitement for all the new titles discussed, and having had far too much dessert! 

5 comments:

  1. I dont' believe I have read any of those books...some of the sewing ones look very interesting though.

    Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog! I look forward to exploring your site and seeing your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun list. It's been too long since I've been in a book club, but I just don't have time now. Like you, I tend to be in the middle of too many books at once, but nowadays most of my tiny reading time is spent on sewing blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read Love in the time of Cholera and loved it despite all the characters having the same name and therefore making it quite confusing, all those mystic realism books are like viewing someone else's dreams so I try not to concentrate too much if I'm reading them.
    Kazuo Ishiguro... I know he's popular, but I've read two of his books and hated them both. His characters are basically all the same, neurotically focussing on irrelevant incidents that happened years ago and which everyone else has forgotten...
    My reading is sporadic at best unfortunately but I did enjoy this find: http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/guernsey/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're lucky to have a reading group nearby. I can't find an evening one that stays together after two books! Most of the libraries around here have daytime groups, including the occasional "whole town" reading of a major new book. That's the kind I'd like to be in!

    Have you called in the vet for Woodrow? I'm hoping his injury is minor.

    Thanks for stopping by earlier! Tonight I'll be looking for the video that you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The guernsey literary society book has received such good reviews. We need to include it. Thanks for the reminder. I will read Love in the Time of Cholera even if the group decides not to-it is on my list of "important books".

    My reading group has been together for years, and we have had a few changes in membership but there are long standing members who keep it going (one of whom is me). A friend and I were talking about the lack of a convivial group so we started one.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.