Wednesday, May 26, 2010

grumpy old men (and women)










I've been retired for, oh, some 9 months now and I have noticed something weird. Every day does NOT feel like Saturday, and I am not gleeful all the time. I thought I was coming down with a cold, or maybe needed to up my antidepressants. In reading (or wasting time surfing the net) I came across a study at investopedia.com which makes so much sense to me. It seems that there are stages to retirement, and there are different emotional approaches to these stages. The New Retirement Mindscape Study lists the stages as:

1. Pre-retirement - imagination and anticipation
2. The big day - whoo hoo!
3. Honeymoon phase - the study authors term this stage liberation. Travel, naps and projects.
4. Disenchantment - party's over and the hard work of redefining one's life begins.
5. Reorientation - adjustment and adpatation here. This stage can last up to 15 years.
6. Routine life resumes.


I would have to say that I am surely in stage 4, and while I am not disenchanted, I am ready to tweak my retirement lifestyle. Many people experience lots of problems adjusting to retirement. Look at this graph:





I guess I am bouncing from carefree content to uncertain searcher. The good news is that once I figured all this out, I feel so much happier! Isn't life interesting?


I'll keep you all informed of my progress through this transition and I hope some readers out there can benefit from my experience. In closing, a beautiful picture from my winter travels.




















3 comments:

  1. You forgot stage 7: Death.

    Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Stage 7 is a routine part of stage 6. My goal is to *make it* to stage 6 and by the time I am toward the end of it, I'll welcome stage 7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost my job this January and decided to stay quit! It has been an adjustment but I think I'm still honeymooning!! I'll stay tuned ... this is very interesting!

    I'd love to hear why you hang out on investopedia!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.