Sunday, September 13, 2009

What we're reading


sunrise in Idaho, 2009




That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo is on the bedside table now. I have great hopes for this novel, having thoroughly enjoyed Bridge of Sighs and Empire Falls. Russo was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 2002 for Empire Falls and I found that novel more accessible than Bridge of Sighs. Both books are well worth a careful read and I'm sure this new novel will also be great.

What's it about? From the jacket: "That Old Cape Magic is a novel of deep introspection and every family feeling imaginable, with a middle-aged man confronting his parents and their failed marriage, his own troubled one, his daughter's new life and finally, what it was he thought he wanted and in fact he has."





After I finish Finding Nouf , I am jumping into the Russo novel. Finding Nouf, by Zoe Ferraris is a mystery which takes place in Saudi Arabia. Not only is the story engaging, but it provides a glimpse into Saudi culture and how Muslim women live within the walls and behind the veils.

5 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading the book, too, as I am also a Russo fan. There are two copies of the book checked out at the library--are the borrowers all from our book club?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I checked at the library also and found that there are 3 holds pending for the book. I bought mine at Borders. It is available on Kindle, for those who are electronic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered my in France and loaded it on to my Kindle in The Chicago International Airport yesterday, Oct 6 on the way home. Unfortunately Kindle does not work in Europe. Hopefully I will get started reading today. Looking forward to the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Cathy, how cosmopoliton! I'm so happy you were able to download the book, and find time to read it while recovering from your wonderful travels.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and enjoy the conversation that results.